A few years back, I blogged about my Taco recipe and how I do my taco shells because I am not a fan of the usual store-bought corn shells. Actually, I don’t make my own shell from scratch, but rather, I buy Lumpia wrappers and deep fry them instead. It is a little bit more tedious and consumes a lot more time but I find that using lumpia wrapper as a taco shell is much better because it’s thinner and crispier.
Let me show you how my homemade tacos and taco shells are done.
- 1 kilo ground lean beef
- Jolly Claro Palm Oil
- Minced garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cabbage, shredded
- 5 large tomatoes, cubed
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- Ground cumin
- Large lumpia wrapper
- Grated cheddar cheese
- 500 grams Italian Style Spaghetti Sauce
- 115 grams Tomato Sauce
1. Heat oil in a large pan. Saute onion and garlic. Afterwards, add in the beef.
2. Add the tomato paste. Sprinkle a little cumin and paprika. Season with salt and pepper then simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Remove excess oil before serving.
How to make the taco shells:
1. Carefully separate the lumpia wrapper in twos so it won’t be too thin. Set aside.
2. Heat your pan and oil. Make sure it’s hot before frying the wrapper.
3. Hold the wrapper on both ends making a “U” shape using tongs. Do the curved part first until golden brown then, the sides. When the wrapper becomes golden brown, you’ll know it’s done.
4. Drain the excess oil by putting the shells on paper towels.
How to make the sauce:
1. Pour the Italian Style Spaghetti Sauce and Tomato Sauce in a pan and heat it until it bubbles. Season with salt and pepper.
How to assemble:
1. Spoon the cooked beef onto the fried lumpia wrapper.
2. Scoop some shredded cabbage, tomatoes, onions and top it off with grated cheddar cheese.
3. Drizzle the sauce on top. You may add hot sauce if you prefer.
*You can add sour cream that can be bought at the supermarket.
4. Serve and enjoy!
Whenever I cook, I always make sure I use only quality products because I don’t want to shortchange my family; that includes our cooking oil.
I have a tip when buying cooking oil – choose a trusted brand that’s known for quality like Jolly Claro Palm Oil. Here are some of the reasons why I use this brand.
Qualities of Jolly Claro Palm Oil:
- Cholesterol-free – since it’s classified as vegetable oil and is not made from animal fat, Jolly Claro Palm Oil is cholesterol-free!
- Doesn’t solidify – a good quality oil should not solidify quickly.
- Doesn’t get rancid – doesn’t easily get that unpleasant taste and smell vs other Palm oil.
When you use Jolly Clara Palm Oil, you are assured of the 3 Os: Oilinis, Oilinaw, and Oilinamnam.
I hope I was able to help you by sharing my little knowledge on vegetable oil; Jolly Claro Palm Oil, to be specific. And, oh! And I hope you liked my homemade taco recipe. 🙂