I look forward to weekends and holidays because these are the special times when I cook all sorts of special dishes for #TheDreys. They would normally request a dish for me to cook and I would gladly oblige.
For this recent long weekend, I roasted a whole chicken and partnered it with a creamy potato gratin as requested by my daughter.
I usually partner my chicken with sauteed or roasted veggies or mashed potato. So, when my daughter requested for some gratin, I was quite hesitant at first because I’ve never made this dish before. So, I looked up a few quick recipes online to see how it’s made. Then I tweaked the formula a bit to make it my own.
Thinking about it now, it makes me kinda wonder why I never thought of cooking potato gratin before when, in fact, it’s fairly easy to make. Haha!
So, I decided to share it here on my blog to make it easier for everyone to find.
Here ya go…
Creamy Potato Gratin recipe
- 6 medium sized potatoes, sliced (your preferred thickness)
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cups Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C. (I did this about 15 mins before assembling)
2. In a saucepan and low heat, heat the olive oil and add butter.
3. Mix in the flour and salt, whisking it for about a minute.
4. Add milk and stir until free of lumps. Continue stirring until the mixture has thickened.
5. Add the cheese until melted. Stir. If the mixture is too thick, you may add a little water.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
1. In a square Pyrex dish (or whatever you may have), layer the potatoes and cover with the cheese mixture. Repeat until you have reached your desired height.
2. Pop in the oven for 1 hour. You will see bubbles when the potato gratin is about to be finished cooking. You’ll also notice that the sides and the top part are a little burnt as well.
3. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Below is a quick video of my newly baked Creamy Potato Gratin which is still inside my De’Longhi Sfornatutto Maxi oven.
It’s actually very easy! I’m sure you can do it, too! Try it out yourselves and let me know how it works out. 😉