This is my version of low-carb “Kare-Kare” without using ground toasted rice. And instead of regular peanut butter, I use peanut spread. This is available in all supermarkets. Same taste as peanut butter but less fat and carbohydates.
1 1/2 kilos Ox tripe
1 kilo Ox tail (you can substitute with beef brisket)
Grapeseed or Olive oil
1 head garlic, crushed
2 medium-sized red onions, chopped
1/2 cup atsuete seeds for coloring
1/2 cup lukewarm water for atsuete
2 bundles stringbeans
1 bundle pechay
1/2 cup ground peanuts
1 cup Best Foods Peanut Spread
Salt and pepper
Water for boiling
Barrio Fiesta regular bagoong
1. Clean the ox tripe and tail and cut into desired pieces. Boil and remove scum. Set aside once tender. Save the stock.
2. Soak atsuete seeds in 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Remove the seeds and save the liquid. Set aside.
3.Saute garlic and onions in oil.
4. Add atsuete water and the remaining stock. Let it boil.
5. Add ground peanuts and Best Foods peanut spread. Boil until you have reached your desired thickness.
6. Add ox tripe and tail.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. On a separate pot, parboil the vegetables (stringbeans,pechay and eggplants). Set aside.
9. Add vegetables before serving.
10. Serve with Bagoong Guisado.
Happy eating! 🙂