Let me share the recipe of my family’s comfort food – Arroz ala Cubana.
*1/2 kilo ground beef (use sirloin)
*2 boxes of Sun-Maid raisins
*1 tbsp. minced garlic
*1 small finely chopped onion
*1 small can or sachet of Del Monte Tomato Sauce
*Salt and Pepper to taste
*1 tbsp. soy sauce
*8 native plantain (saba bananas) – sliced lengthwise
1. Put olive oil and butter in a skillet. Sauté garlic and onions. Add ground beef.
2. Cover and simmer until beef is cooked.
3. Add Sun-Maid raisins, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Add tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from fire.
5. On a separate pan, fry the bananas using little oil. Then fry the eggs.
6. Put rice at the center of the plate topped with fried egg. Spoon some meat mixture and fried bananas around the plate.
*Makes 6 servings