When I was growing up, I would always hear my mom and grandmother ask everyone in the house what dishes they would want to eat for the whole week. This was the scenario that played out in our home every week.
Sometimes I would see how stressed out my grandmother would get every time they plan the menu. At first, I found it ridiculous. I thought to myself… “Come on! Thinking of what to eat can really stress out a person?” I never knew how difficult this weekly chore really was… until it was my time to become the homemaker!
Seriously, preparing a week long menu is a bit irksome especially if you have two teens and an elderly who needs a balanced meal. I always end up checking my trusty cookbooks or browsing some recipes online. Thankfully we now have the internet which gives me more than enough meal options. One of my dependable go-to sites is www.knorr.com.ph which provides me with extensive recipes that are loaded with pictures and videos, making cooking more fun.
Last week, I wanted to serve my family a simple yet comforting meal that will not take so much of my time in the kitchen (since we are currently renovating our teens’ room and I didn’t want to add more load in the house). Plus, my hands are full as a blogger, too, finishing deadlines. So, after going through some recipes on the Knorr website, I finally decided to cook Chicken Sopas. I also realized that I haven’t cooked Chicken Sopas for quite some time now, so I had to share my excitement and eagerness by telling the kids. I was met with short but very eager responses…
Me to Ella: I am cooking chicken sopas for lunch.
E: Really? Yehey!
Me to Ralph: We will have chicken sopas for lunch today.
See! That’s why I love cooking for my family! They always love and appreciate the food I prepare for them whether simple or complicated.
Let’s make our Chicken Sopas
Here is how I cooked Chicken Sopas — the Knorr way. I added some of my preferred veggies instead of the ones in the original recipe. Check it out.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp chopped white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced crosswise OR broccoli
- 200 grams chicken breast fillet, cubed
- 2 pc KNORR CHICKEN BROTH CUBE
- 3 cups water OR chicken broth from the boiled chicken breast
- 100 grams elbow macaroni
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots OR shredded carrots
- 1 cup evaporated milk OR fresh milk
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn (optional)
- 2 cups shredded Baguio pechay OR shredded cabbage
- Pinch ground white or black pepper
1. Heat oil and saute onions and garlic until soft. If you are including celery, add it and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add Knorr Chicken Broth Cube. Mix well to dissolve.
4. Add water or chicken broth, let it boil then add macaroni. Cook until macaroni is cooked halfway.
5. Add potatoes, broccoli, cabbage and carrots. Let it boil.
6. Add evaporated or fresh milk and let it simmer.
7. Season with pepper.
There are a few dishes that truly delight me and Chicken Sopas is one of them. In fact, this is also one of the first dishes I learned to make because of its simplicity. It may look simple, but this hearty soup dish never fails to satisfy me and my family especially when one is under the weather.
In no time, they completely finished their Chicken Sopas.