It’s Holy Week so that means, no meat every Friday and I have to rack my brain, planning our menu. I tell ya, it’s actually hard even if this happens only once-a-week — especially if you’re feeding a meat-heavy household.
I had shrimps, fish and some greens in the fridge and didn’t know what to make out of it to get my family excited over lunch. Then, by some stroke of luck, I suddenly saw my sizzling plate tucked in the corner of my kitchen shelf. Eureka! I instantly thought of making Sizzling Spicy Gambas! Shrimp is probably one of the non-meat ingredients that my family loves to eat (especially if it has been peeled already). This will most definitely make them run to the dining table in no time. I could just imagine my daughter, who is crazy over shrimps, giddy with delight.
I guess my version of Sizzling Spicy Gambas is not spectacularly different from other recipes. Of course, I’ve given this my own subtle twist. Check out my simple Sizzling Spicy Gambas recipe below and try it out yourselves! It is very simple to make.
Sizzling Spicy Gambas
1 kilo peeled shrimps, deveined and heads removed
Lemon juice or Calamansi juice
3 Finger chilies sliced diagonally
1. Clean the shrimps, remove the skin and remove the main central vein (devein).
2. Heat olive oil and butter in a pan and add in the minced garlic. Don’t toast the garlic, just golden brown.
3. Then add in the finger chilies but leave some for garnishing.
Once the finger chilies have been cooked, add in the peeled shrimps, cooking it until it turns pink. I also add some Tabasco as we want our gambas really spicy!
4. Season with salt, pepper and paprika depending on your taste.
Set aside once shrimps have been cooked.
5. Place your sizzling plate on top of the burner.
6. Transfer the shimps immediately onto the sizzling plate, drizzle some lemon or calamansi juice and mix. Turn off fire and garnish with the remaining finger chilies.
Serve while it’s sizzling.