There are many versions of Pork Binagoongan or Pork in Shrimp Paste. Some of them are sweet-salty, spicy, with coconut cream and sometimes sour.
At #TheDreys household, we enjoy all kinds, so I created our very own Pork Binagoongan in Coconut Cream that’s sweet, salty, spicy, sour with coconut cream plus it has crunchy fried liempo.
This recipe of mine can be quite challenging because deep frying pork liempo is tedious and may leave “battle scars” when you’re not careful! But, I believe all the hard work pays off when you finally enjoy your delicious creation.
How to make Pork Binagoongan in Coconut Cream
- 1 kilo pork liempo cut into cubes
- 1 bottle Barrio Fiesta Bagoong (Sweet variant)
- Fresh coconut cream
- Minced garlic
- Sliced onions
- Sliced tomatoes
- Brown sugar
- Sliced green chillies
- Slice the pork liempo into cubes and boil until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Deep fry the liempo cubes until golden brown and crunchy. Drain in paper towels and set aside.
- In a clean pan, add oil and saute garlic, onions and tomatoes until the onions are translucent.
- Add half bottle of the shrimp paste first, 1 tsp. of brown sugar, pinch of salt & pepper and mix. Then add 2 tbsp. vinegar. Cover and simmer.
*Be reminded though to not mix the mixture once you’ve added the vinegar, just let it boil. According to my grandmother, do not stir the vinegar until it has reached its boiling point, or else the taste will come out raw.
- Once the mixture has simmered, add the fresh coconut cream and mix. Adjust the seasoning to your liking. If you find the consistency thick, you may add water little by little. You don’t want to end up with a runny sauce.
- Add half of the fried liempo and save the remaining half to use before serving. Mix thoroughly then add some of the sliced chili.
- Transfer in a bowl, scoop some sauce, top with the remaining fried liempo and chili.
- Serve right away to enjoy the crunchiness of the liempo.
Ahh! This made me hungry again! Looks like I need to have another round of my Pork Binagoongan in Coconut Cream with steamed rice and a bottle of ice cold coke! Care to join me?
Anyway… Happy cooking and eating!